Sunday, January 2

Night spent in the E.R.

Last Thursday we spent the night in the E.R. at Lakeview. And I wish we hadn't.

All day Thursday I was having really bad stomach cramps, I tried to ignore it, thinking that it was the Chinese food I had eaten the night before. I talked to Lee, and he said he wasn't feeling good either, so I had decided we must have gotten some bad chicken fried rice or something. As the day went on my stomach pain got worse and worse.

We had plans to meet up with my brother Matt and his girlfriend Adrienne for some dinner. By the time I had gotten off of work, I couldn't even sit up straight, and the only way I could find any comfort was crunched over and holding my stomach. On my way home I must have looked like a old lady, barely seeing over the steering wheel, as I was crunching more and more to try to compress my stomach. I had told Lee that I wasn't feeling well, so when I got home he met me with some night time cold medicine, thinking it was maybe the flu. I could barely change and swallow the pills. I crawled into bed, and laid in the fetal position. Breathing deep was so painful, and the only way to breath was short, shallow breaths. My pain kept getting worse and worse. Lee being the worrier that he is, thought for sure it was my appendix, and wanted to be safe, so he insisted that we go to the hospital.

I was able to get my shoes on, and that amount of movement sent me over the edge, and started to throw up from the pain. The cold medicine and ginger ale I managed to swallow earlier came right back up. We got to the E. R. and it felt like we were waiting forever. I was in so much pain. By the time they finally took me back I could barely walk, and they even offered me a wheel chair. But me being as stubborn as I am, I walked myself. We got back to the little "room" and they had me change into a gown. I couldn't even stand up long enough for Lee to tie my gown. I collapsed onto the bed, and got back into the fetal position. The nurse thought I for sure had some issues with my appendix, and could tell I was very much in pain. She got me set up with a IV, and quickly started filling me up with some morphine. This will sound so dumb, and I don't know what they measure morphine in, but I guess for my size I had a lot of morphine, I had 12 of something....I think total time being in the E.R. I had 4 shots of morphine. So, 1 CT scan, 2 sonograms, and a way nasty shake thing they made me was confirmed that my appendix was fine. As it turns out I have a cyst on my left ovary. Joy.

I guess the way to take care of this, is to do nothing. The doctor told me I just have to wait for the cyst to burst. Ya, you read that right, BURST. If the pain from that is anything like the night at the E.R. I hope this doesn't happen for awhile. The doctor armed me with some pain meds, and basically sent me on my way. I was at the E.R. from 10 at night, until probably 7 AM.

My mom and Lee had to tag team the "Katie watch". Lee has to be to work by 6, so my mom came to relieve him around 3 A.M. Thanks mom for your help.

So no surgery on my ovary, but I am scheduled for a hip surgery at the end of the month. I plan on bedazzeling my grandmas walker. But that is another post.

Happy New Year!!!

1 comment:

Jen Herem said...

:( hope you feel better. i know so many people that have had cysts on their ovaries. it is so common! get some rest!