Thursday, August 21

Katie who?

Anyone that knows me, knows that I don't really have much contact with my biological dad. Growing up he wasn't the coolest guy, but now that I am older I am trying to let go of the past and reconnect with people. I decided that I wanted to let my dad know that I was getting married, but the hard part was that I hadn't spoken to my dad in about 5 years and I didn't have any contact information for him. So like any internet savy nerd, I googled him. I knew he lived in New Mexico, so I started by looking in the phonebooks for New Mexico, but the problem is that there are a lot of Chris Aragon's in that state. SO I found one that I thought was him, and sent a letter. I only sent one letter, and as it turns out I found the right house. The letter went to his ex wife Cheri who was kind enough to email me and give me a phone number and even offered to help me find him if the number didnt work. After working up some courage I called the number and spoke with my dad. At first he didnt know who I was, but after he figured it out he was so happy to talk to me. I was kind of nervous to talk to him so I didnt really take the time I should have to catch up with him. I just asked him for his address, and how to contact my half sister that I have. She is, I think 10 years older than I am and has a little boy. She lives in NSLC and is not married.

Chris called me later that night when I was o my way to school and we kind of caught up. I never knew I had so many aunts and uncles, I think the total was like 8 or 9, and I think I have something like 40 cousins. He is getting remarried for I think the 3rd time so a woman who is native american. I dont know what he does for work, but he is working and also is still going to AA meetings and helps with group meetings for that. He said he was really going to try to make it to my wedding. I am nervous to see him, but excited at the same time. We never have had the best relationship, but he is still my dad and I think I owe it to myself to try to have a relationship to him. He asked me when I was going to give him grandkids....I sighed and said well not for a while until I am at least done with school. But it made me think, that my kids wont really have a grandpa since Lee's dad passed away a few years ago. So if not for me, I should try to have a relationship for my unborn children ( man that sounds weird). This whole situation is strange, but it sounds like my dad has figured out that I am going to let go of the past and give him a chance.

Just like any dad, he asked me who was walking me down the aisle...I laughed and said my brothers. I dont think we are that close that he gets to walk me down the aisle...ha ha.

1 comment:

Haskell's said...

YOu are so brave!! I really miss you and would love to catch up obviously not before the wedding i know how crazy that stuff is. You are so darling.